First, I did finish the ‘A’ block dishcloth I was experimenting with. My reading of the pattern went wonky at the top of the A, but given that it was a) an experiment; and, b) just a dishcloth for my own use…I just finished it off.
Do you see that ‘tail’ up at the top? I decided to include an I-cord for hanging. I’ve been thinking about a way to split an I-cord while stitching in order to have it make an internal loop without any sewing. Maybe the rest of the knitting world already knew this…but for me it’s pretty awesome since I figured it out myself. Here’s a closeup:
It’s not pretty, but it is functional.
I did a simple 4 stitch I-cord, and then when it was long enough, I slipped 2 stitches to the right-hand needle and stitched the next 2. I did this over and over until the loop was the length I wanted it. Because you still have 2 stitches from the original 4 stitch I-cord, the 2 stitch I-cord will necessarily arc.
When the loop is the size you want, simply integrate the other 2 stitches, instead of slipping them. Then finish off the I-cord. Voila, all connected without sewing.
Now if there’s an even better way of achieving this same thing, please let me know. But for now, I’m kind of smitten with my solution. This little loop would hang on a little hook without problem.
The above details, and the ones for my other project will make it quite clear that I am way better at designing while knitting than I am at reading a pattern and knitting.
The shrug-awl is coming along. I bound off the neckline and started working on the left side ‘sleeve.’
And that’s where it is this morning.